- Prof. King Lun Yeung has been awarded the highly competitive NSFC/RGC Joint Research Scheme (2013/2014) and a substantial grant to work on "Investigation of new multi-functional materials based on hierarchical porous mixed oxides and carbon aerogels for air purification and disinfection". His mainland partner is Prof. Jieshan Qiu of Dalian University of Technology
- Samantha Wing Man Kong, CBME 3rd Year Undergraduate Student, has been awarded the Sai Kung Outstanding Youth Award (Open Group) under the Outstanding Youth Commission Scheme 2013-2014. This annual program is jointly organized by the Home Affairs Bureau and the Commission on Youth.
- VISITING PROFESSOR IS ENVIRONMENT, SUSTAINABILITY AND ENERGY DIVISION AWARD 2013 WINNER Dr Rafael Luque, Visiting Professor and Distinguished Engineering Fellow of CBME, was recognized with this award for his outstanding work in the multidisciplinary areas of nanomaterials, green chemistry and energy. Dr Luque (University of Cordoba, Spain) has significant experience on biomass and waste valorisation practises to materials, fuels and chemicals over the past 10 years. He has also published more than 160 research articles, filed 3 patent applications and edited 7 books, is a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of several reputed journals, and has been awarded numerous awards and recognition to his scientific career.
- Professor Chi Ming Chan was elected as a Fellow of IUPAC (the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) in Jan 2012. Professor Chan's elevation to Fellow is in recognition of his contributions to IUPAC and research achievements in polymer science and academic achievements.
- A team from CBME won the Silver Award 2013 President's Cup for its Final Year Project entitled, Endothelial Cell-Adhesive Injectable Hydrogel as Endovascular Embolizing Agent. The team consisted of HO Ka Hei, IP Yuen Man, NG Siu Man, SHING Ping Hei and VILLAROMAN Andrea, and was supervised by Professor Ying CHAU. The President's Cup is an annual event at HKUST for undergraduate graduates to compete based on outstanding achievements in research and innovation.
- A team from CBME won the 2013 President's Cup for its Final Year Project entitled, Micro-Mini Pulsed Electric Field Technology for Point-of-use Disinfection of Tap Water. The team consisted of CHOI San Hung, CHOI Yee Man, KWOK Kwong Mun and YAU Chui Hung, and was supervised by Professor King Lun Yeung. The President's Cup is an annual event at HKUST for undergraduate graduates to compete based on outstanding achievements in research and innovation.
- CBME Student Receives Sponsorship to Attend Worldwide Forum CBME student Kong Wing Man (Samantha) recently attended the 3-day G20 Youth Forum in Petersborough as a HKUST representative. Samantha was sponsored by both the GCE Committee and CBME department. Samantha said sharing and exchanging thoughts and opinions with people from all over the world, and learning about initiatives taken in other countries, was one of her most unforgettable experiences of the forum. "The conversations I had with these future leaders gave me new insights about my current research on air pollution problem in Hong Kong," she said. "I learnt more about how other countries are dealing with this problem. I will discuss and work with my friends to see how to better address the pollution problem in Hong Kong."
PhD Qualifying Examination by SUEN Wai Leung Langston on 11 December 2013 in Room 1511 (lifts 27-28) at 10:30. Title: Mechanism of ocular barriers modulation by low-intensity low frequency ultrasound on sclera and retinal pigment epithelium
Prof. Yuan Shuai LIU was awarded The Faculty Awards for Outstanding Performance and Achievements in Teaching at PolyU, 2010-2011. He is also the recipient of Good Teacher Award in the Department of Applied Biology & Chemical Technology in 2011.